Sooner or later everybody has to pass a urine drug test. Not everybody has clean urine, however. Failing a test for any kind of drugs can cost you a job, a promotion, college entrance or even put you behind bars.
If somebody uses drugs, the solution of how to pass a drug test is quite clear: almost everybody thinks of using synthetic urine.
But does synthetic urine even work for lab tests?
Given how many people use synthetic urine to pass a urine drug test, we looked into what synthetic urine actually is, what it is used for and where (and at what price) you can buy fake pee.
What Is Synthetic Urine Used For?
In two words – “golden showers”.
Joking aside, fake pee does have a number of different uses. Synthetic urine can be used for:
- Sterility of fake urine is perfect for all kinds of practical jokes.
- As an animal repellent. Mosquitos apparently don’t like the smell of urine.
- “Golden showers”. Yes, people who are into urination like some extra urine.
- Passing a urine drug test. In fact, this is the No. 1 use of synthetic urine nowadays.
Why is it so popular?
Well, it was designed to calibrate laboratory equipment that is used for testing urine. If it is prepared and used correctly, there is no way any lab will detect it as synthetic urine.
Lab tests simply detect it as clean real urine.
What Exactly Is Synthetic Urine?
In essence, it is a complex chemical solution that mimics real urine so well that not even a laboratory drug panel kits can tell a difference between synthetic and real urine.
To answer what synthetic urine is we need to answer what real urine is.
Urine is a complex chemical solution; a by-product of our metabolism. An average person will eliminate about 1.4 liters of urine per day. It contains several different substances such as urea, uric acid, creatinine, has a certain pH and specific gravity and so on.
In the end, there is no difference between what comes out of our urinary canal and high-quality synthetic urine.
What Is Fake Pee Made Of?
Real urine is a yellowish liquid that is made out of water, organic and inorganic matter. What is in synthetic urine? Exactly the same chemical substances that are in real urine.
Here is an example of the list of the ingredients that synthetic urine is made out of:
- Urea – 50 to 100 mg/dl.
- Uric acid – 5.0 to 7.0 mg/dl.
- Creatinine – 35 to 320 mg/dl.
- Potassium sulfate (K2SO4) – 1 to 3 g/l.
- Sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) – 1 to 3 g/l.
- Ammonium phosphate – 0.5 to 1.5 g/l.
- Ammonium diphospate – 0.5 to 1.5 g/l.
- Calcium chloride (CaCl2) – 0.1 to 0.5 g/l.
- Magnesium chloride (MgCl2) – 0.25 to 1 g/l.
Why exactly these ingredients?
Urine tests measure 3 specific substances – urea, uric acid, and creatinine.
They are present in every normal urine; in fact, we know that there is at least 50 mg/dl of urea in normal urine. However, the levels of urea have to be below 100 mg/dl.
This is precisely the range of uric acid that every synthetic urine that can be used to drug test has to match. Most of them do; nonetheless, that doesn’t mean that some don’t. Especially looking at the cheaper brand here.
If the ingredients of synthetic urine fail to deliver these two metrics, the lab technician analyzing your urine will know something is up.
Does Synthetic Urine Work For Lab Tests?
Fortunately or unfortunately, it does. Literally, thousands of people pass a urine drug test by using synthetic urine kits.
Laboratories that test for drugs are pretty much found helpless to prevent the surge of high-grade synthetic urine used for drug testing. Some states even went so far as to make the sales of synthetic urine illegal because that’s the only way to prevent its use on drug tests.
While it is true that some brands in the world of synthetic urine kits are better than others, it is wise to be aware of problems some cheap fake urines might have.
Can Synthetic Urine Be Detected On A Drug Test?
With high-quality brands, there are no problems because all the ingredients are just right. Some even take care of how to heat up the synthetic urine to body temperature.
However, they can become suspicious if any of the metrics are a bit off.
Here are the four most common reasons people are caught due to using bad synthetic urine:
- The high specific gravity of fake urine. Some synthetic urine producers might sulfate and chloride salt addition. This, in turn, raises specific gravity over 1,035 and can be seen as a consequence of using low-quality synthetic urine.
- Low-end creatinine. Usually, there are two explanations for creatinine levels under 35 mg/dl. Either there is some kind of kidney problem or the test subject is using 20$ synthetic urine kit. Good synthetic urine should have at least 100 mg/dl creatinine levels.
- Uric acid content is out of range. The normal interval of uric acid concentration is rather narrow (5.0-7.0 mg/dl). The chemical makeup of fake pee has to be just right here; better the quality of the urine, less likely urine will test as synthetic urine.
- The temperature of fake piss. Cold urine won’t do because lab tech will know immediately that it didn’t come out of your urinary system. Synthetic urine needs to be heated up to body temperature using heat activators, heat pads, or if you feel like playing with your life, heating it up in a microwave for 10 seconds.
How To Heat It Up To Body Temperature?
Temperature, of course, is vital. We can buy the best synthetic urine with perfect urea and creatinine levels but every fake pee also has to be heated to the body temperature.
90 to 100F is good.
98 to 102F is perfect.
Urine for drug test must not be too hot or too cold. Real urine’s temperature is never above 105F (unless you have a really high fever). It also shouldn’t be below 90F. It should be just right – as if it came out of your body minutes ago.
There are a number of ways how to heat up synthetic urine:
- Keep it close to your body. This could be very convenient if it worked. The reality is that it’s very difficult to heat a full 5-ounce contained to 100F with just the heat created by our groin or armpit. Not really recommended.
- Use heat pads. Several synthetic urine suppliers also offer head pads (they’re like 5$ at most). Some people had good experience using such pads to heat up liquids, others say its really hard to do it and to know that’s exactly 100F as it should be.
- Heat activator. The best synthetic urine kits already come equipped with heat activators. Usually, you get granules in a separate vial, put them into the urine and when it heats up to the body temperature, the indicator turns green.
- Using the microwave for 10 seconds. That might actually work but it is quite a risky business. How do you know the temperature is not 80F or 120F? One second can make a big difference.
When the fake piss is enough hot, test subject usually just strap it to a leg or arm in order to keep the heat during the whole process of taking a urine drug test.
What Is Shelf-Life Of Fake Urine?
Many users keep synthetic urine stocked at home for when the time comes. It makes a lot of sense to have it ready – but you have to ask yourself one question: Does synthetic urine go bad?
As with every product, even synthetic urine has a shelf-life after which it will be unusable (or at least might taste weird – for “golden shower” guys).
After what time does synthetic urine go bad?
Usually 2-3 years.
Of course, it depends on the specific product, the batch and so forth. Most of the kits have the product expiration label on the packaging.
If you are getting tested for drugs on a regular basis, it makes sense to stock up on it in order to be ready when another testing comes around.
Some companies may test their employees every 3 months or so. Having 4 synthetic urine kits at home will last for 1 year and the fake pee usually won’t go bad in 2 years or so.
How to keep synthetic urine from going bad?
Keeping urine in the fridge might prevent it from going bad for a longer time. Just keep it out of the freezer (it will turn into ice and likely explode).
Where Can You Buy Synthetic Urine?
You can purchase synthetic piss in two places:
- Online (obviously).
- In stores near you.
If you’re in a hurry (as in ‘I have a drug test in 5 hours’), it’s best to find a head shop near you that sells it.
If you have a drug test in 2 days or more, it’s better to order it online. At least that’s what most people who wish to pass a drug test do.
Discreteness and express delivery.
If you buy synthetic urine in a store, you have to physically go to the store and put it on the counter. Everybody knows you’re probably not using it for “golden showers” or as an animal repellent, and most of the stores have cameras and video surveillance.
List Of Online Synthetic Urine Stores:
Synthetic Urine Near Me Store Locator
Can you buy synthetic urine in stores?
|Online Store||Synthetic Urine Brand||Available Deals|
|TestNegative Store||Sub-Solution (patented)||3+1 promo deal|
|QuickFixSynthetic||Quick Fix Plus||3+1 promo deal|
|TestClear Store||Powdered Human Urine||10% on 3+ orders|
|Dr. Greens Store||Various Brands||N/A|
|XStream||XStream Fetish Urine||N/A|
|Go Synthetic Urine||Various Brands||N/A|
|Ultra Klean||Various Brands||N/A|
Yes. Local vape and head shops usually have a stock of different brands of synthetic urine. You can find them via:
If you choose to find a local store to buy fake urine, do give them a call beforehand and check if they offer it. Most of them do but if they don’t you have to find another one – it’s easier to just call the store.
How Much Is Synthetic Piss?
When in need of passing a drug test, it’s better to go for high-quality urine than for a cheap one. Much can be on the line and users don’t really want to risk it with a questionable 20$ fake pee.
How much does synthetic urine cost?
20$ to 100$.
Conclusion And Advice
Using fake piss has become standard practice when in need of passing a drug test. More and more people this way in order not to lose a job or promotion.
However, a smart way of guaranteeing you will be safe is just not using illicit drugs. The world is becoming more and more accepting of drugs like marijuana and it is for all of us to bring forth progress as far as sensible legislation is concerned.
Scientific researches and other sources:
(1) Goodwin RS, Darwin WD, Chiang CN, Shih M, Li S-H, Huestis MA. Urinary Elimination of 11-Nor-9-carboxy- 9-tetrahydrocannnabinol in Cannabis Users During Continuously Monitored Abstinence. Journal of analytical toxicology. 2008;32(8):562-569.
(2) Hadland SE, Levy S. OBJECTIVE TESTING – URINE AND OTHER DRUG TESTS. Child and adolescent psychiatric clinics of North America. 2016;25(3):549-565. doi:10.1016/j.chc.2016.02.005.
(3) Lee C, Vo TT, Cohen AS, et al. PROFILES OF URINE DRUG TEST IN CLINICAL PAIN PATIENTS VERSUS PAIN RESEARCH STUDY SUBJECTS. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass). 2016;17(4):636-643. doi:10.1111/pme.12900.
(4) Barr DB, Wilder LC, Caudill SP, Gonzalez AJ, Needham LL, Pirkle JL. Urinary Creatinine Concentrations in the U.S. Population: Implications for Urinary Biologic Monitoring Measurements. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2005;113(2):192-200. doi:10.1289/ehp.7337.